Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Stuff That I Saw: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World Trailer #2

Check it:



Having just read up to the SUPERB fifth volume of Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim series and seeing this more-revealing trailer for the film adaptation, Scot Pilgrim Vs. The World, I am now even more excited for this movie.  You might remember that I was a little bit skeptical about Michael Cera as the titular Scott Pilgrim - this trailer shows that he's actually got a really good command over the character.  You also see more of Ramona, and her actress, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, looks primed and ready for the part.  There's only two things I'm a little skeptical about - one is that the look of some of the side characters isn't quite as perfect as I would like, most notably Wallace Wells, Scott's gay roommate, who just doesn't seem pretty enough, and Kim Pine, the drummer of his band, who also isn't pretty enough.....on second thought, maybe this is just because the characters are being, ya know, put into live-action instead of a manga-inspired comic book.  Still, the complaint holds for me.   EDIT: Actually, after watching the trailer several times (as I am wont to do with anything related to Scott Pilgrim, movie or otherwise), everyone seems cool.

The second, and larger concern is that they're putting all 6 volumes into one movie.  I'm really worried about this - while there are enough parts from the comic that can be skipped over (such as in the second volume where Scott's friends are teaching the reader how to cook a meal), these sections are part of what added a lot of flavour and personality to the books.  And even without them, that's a LOT of stuff to put into one movie.  I don't know what the runtime for the film is supposed to be, but I don't see how they could do it justice with any less than two and a half hours, and considering that this is a film adaptation of an indie comic by a just-moderately-successful (in North America) director and containing only one really heavy-hitter star, I find it hard to believe that the studio would allow it to be so long.  I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

That's basically it for me.  The 6th and final volume of Scott Pilgrim will be released July 20th.  Read the series!  It's excellent!

0 comments:

Post a Comment